Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Close Encounters of the Grizzly Kind

We had taken our horses and climbed the backside of "Mount Pioneer" our designation of our favorite mountain in the Wilmore Wilderness Park in Alberta, Canada. It was rough going as no one had used the trail in 5 years, so we spent a lot of time cutting deadfall and opening the trail again. I had created the trail some 10 years previously, as it was a great short cut to my absolute favorite place. As we broke through the timber into the alpine the campers gasped with awe and wonder at the sight of Mount Cote' and Pioneer Lake nestled in its valley. We paused for photographs and then headed to the lake for lunch. I took my camera and headed a quarter mile up the mountain where I planned to get a few good shots of Casket and Intersection mountains. As I stepped up on the final rock to view the valley below, my hair just stood on end! There 20 paces away stood a grizzly! I knew I should disappear but I also wanted a photograph. As I started clicking he stood up on his hind legs sniffing the air. It was immediately obvious that his focus was not me but the campers and horses down below. He sniffed the air and listened acutely, hardly noticing me even though I was in full view. Obviously he had the same problem my wife tells me I have; that I only focus on one thing at a time! So as he checked the air and squinted down the hill I clicked my last picture and stealthily retreated off the rock and out of his view. When I got back and showed everyone my pictures,( isn't digital great!) They immediately wanted to see it. We cautiously returned and spotted my bear ambling off into the bushes away from all the noise and action. It was a heart stopping moment for me and one I will always remember.

But the question I ask here is what can we learn about a grizzly's habits and actions? We are sometimes told that the grizzly, king of the wilderness, has no fear and will attack without provocation. Whereas this may sometimes be true we noticed that this bear took the time to check out his situation and decided to retreat rather than challenge us (at least this time!) He definitely was relying on his sense of smell and sound and his eyesight was not his strong suit. His standing on his hind legs was a definite attempt to see what he had already smelled and heard. I am also forever grateful that my "bear of not too much brain" was suitably occupied before he saw me. I would not have wanted to be his point of focus!! We also note that if the grizzly is not surprised into action, he does feel threatened and chooses to leave rather than challenge a large group.

When I travel in the wilderness I have a great respect for the wildlife that lives there. It is an amazing experience to be able to observe all animals and to share their home for a few short days. I want to be cautious but I also know that God's wilderness is not guaranteed to be safe. So as I travel I take precautions where I can but I joyfully take the risks that are inherent and I cannot change. We cannot make a wild grizzly safe and huge respect must be given to him. What he does not do today he may do tomorrow. But there is a great thrill in being able to see one close up and living to tell the story!

Ed Warkentin has spent a lifetime in the back country in the Rockies and loves God's Wilderness1 He has a website at http://cabintentsite.com/ where he sells Coleman, Eureka!, and Wenzel camping and cabin tents as well as camping supplies. He is the founder of Peace Country Pioneer Camp and has tested and tried his tents in every kind of weather. His Knowledge comes from a lifetime of experience.


http://EzineArticles.com/6496575

No comments:

Post a Comment